Re: Emoji: Public Review December 2008 - A Very Pretty Can of Worms Indeed

From: Ed Trager (ed.trager@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 21 2008 - 11:40:41 CST

> > In a less disputational category, the NATURE category, I see there is
> > MAPLE LEAF and SAKURA (with only 4 petals in two of the vendor's
> > systems -- hah! what a joke!). So I want an OAK LEAF, a POINSETTIA,
> > and a TULIP TREE LEAF. And since I want to be culturally inclusive, I
> > want a TEAK TREE LEAF and PAPAYA LEAF too. Can I have them?
>
> Show evidence of use.

The point was that the whole emoji encoding endeavour risks opening up
a can of worms where in fact people do want to have those things
encoded in the future. If some of these technologies were coming out
of, say, India or Thailand instead of Japan, then there might have
been a PAPAYA LEAF in there instead of a MAPLE LEAF.

That was the point. The point was not for me to show you current
evidence of use of my hypothetical examples. My apologies if that was
not clear.