Re: Emoji: National Flag Symbols

From: Christopher Fynn (chris.fynn@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 21 2008 - 22:52:59 CST

On 22/12/2008, Mark Davis <mark.edward.davis@gmail.com> wrote:

> The UTC discussed this, and the consensus was to just do the flags that were
> needed for compatibility. Of course, that does not preclude adding other
> flags later.

You think WG2 which consists of *national* bodies is going to accept
these without requests for delays so that some can discuss it with
their govenments? Then it is likely they will insist on having at
least *their* flag included. Once these things are common, the cell
phone manufactuers will soon want to include and Indian flag to sell
their phones in India, a Thai flag to sell their phones in Thailand
and so on ....

Once some flags are encoded, encoding the rest seems inevitable - why
not do this from the start so no-one is offended?

If any flags are added it would be safer to add flags of all UN member
countries - (and perhaps a handful of others) - Otherwise, few are
going to understand why they were left out - and people in countries
like India, Nigeria and Brazil, which are larger and have a greater
population than many of the countrries included, are bound to feel
offended.

> I agree that it would probably be better to alphabetize these.

Yes I can't see China being pleased if listed after Japan ....

> ISO 3166 actually uses GB not UK.

Whoops.