RE: Emoji: National Flag Symbols

From: Ruszlan Gaszanov (ruszlan@ather.net)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2008 - 15:19:30 CST

Actually, a potential decision to encode flags would bring up an interesting
problem: traditionally, a plain text character is recognized by glyph shape
only, while glyph colors are more or less irrelevant to character semantics.
As a consequence, present-day text rendering systems are not designed to
enforce specific colors on particular glyphs.

A flag, however, is a different animal entirely. Admittedly, there are some
flags that have a very distinct pattern (US or UK for instance) so they
would be recognizable without proper colors applied, but for great many
colors are critical. For instance, there would be no clear way to
distinguish between monochrome versions of French, Italian or Irish flags.

Hence, in order to use "flag characters" in plain text meaningfully, we
would need new rendering systems that a able enforce specific colors on
glyphs, and that would change the nature of plain text as we know it.

So, the question we must ask ourselves here: do we really want to do this?

Ruszlán