Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Christopher Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Fri Dec 26 2008 - 00:07:53 CST

Asmus Freytag wrote:

 Emoji are not
> created on the ground, but the current sets under discussion are
> provided by vendors who have to absorb any costs from extending their
> sets - as Ken has argued that will prove a brake on further expansion,
> an argument with which I happen to agree.

OTOH if supporting further Emoji proved profitable by giving one carrier or another a competitive advantage - or if it lead additional sales or upgrades, that could *encourage* further expanion.

If carriers start using Unicode instead of Shift JIS there are all kinds of currently "unused" characters available for them to abuse ~ or they could come up with several different PUA encodings - and then later come up with a proposal to standardise these using non-PUA characters with the same argument of "interoperability" found in this proposal.

- Chris

--
Sensationsangebot verlängert: GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K1308T4569a