Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: David Starner (prosfilaes@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 01 2009 - 16:25:27 CST

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 3:32 PM, James Kass <thunder-bird@earthlink.net> wrote:
> What happens when their users try to display valid Unicode
> characters which were sent *as* valid Unicode characters?
> Would everyone be happy to see *those* characters get converted
> into cute little icons?

Wait a second; so it's all right for valid ASCII that appears in
emoticons to become cute little icons, but not for ☺--which
practically is a cute little icon to start with--to so become?

> Who is opposing the proposal? (Independents, many of whom are
> unpaid volunteers, or whose livelihood does not depend on the
> encoding process.)

At the very least, Everson is against it and I'm for it. One could
also argue that if independents are against it, it's because they tend
to be more a fan of the pure ideal, rather than what has to be done in
reality to get the job done.