Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: John W Kennedy (jwkenne@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2009 - 19:33:41 CST

    On Jan 5, 2009, at 12:16 PM, James Kass wrote:
    > Suppose for a moment that you and I are sociable
    > Japanese schoolgirls who use the emoji pictographs
    > to spice up our text messages. In response to your
    > latest text message, I send:

    > Since we're both young and carefree, we don't worry
    > about whether or not future historians can access
    > that hamburger.

    One hates to toss the proverbial spanner, but all this seems to leave
    out the current Japanese literary craze, the cellphone novel,
    originally (and necessarily, in the view of purists) composed in text
    messages, though many of them have already been reissued in print and
    become best sellers.

    --
    John W Kennedy
    "The first effect of not believing in God is to believe in anything...."