Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Leo Broukhis (leob@mailcom.com)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2009 - 23:08:20 CST

    On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 7:56 PM, Michael D'Errico <mike-list@pobox.com> wrote:
    >> Suppose, using your mechanism, I send a message (in Japanese) from
    >> Gmail (with language preferences set to Japanese) that contains a
    >> "crab" picture that is missing on Japanese phones. What would (and
    >> what should, in your opinion, and why?) the recipient see?
    >
    > It totally depends on the phone's user interface, which would be
    > designed by the mobile phone manufacturer. But if this new crab
    > emoji was written as "crab" using the emoji script, a fallback
    > rendering would be possible to show "crab" possibly in a box or
    > something to distinguish it. If the phone users know English,
    > they can guess that it should be a picture of a crab.

    And if this new crab emoji was written as "カニ" in emoji quotes (if
    Google translate is to be trusted),
    there would be no need to guess.

    >> No more than any existing quotes create a "quotation mode".
    >
    > Yes, more. The text between the quotes is rendered the same as if
    > the quotes were not there.

    How do the quoted lines above look in your MUA? Plain text with >
    chars, or an indented paragraph with a vertical bar?
    Gmail colors and indents plain text quoted with >'s, and I don't see
    anyone complaining.

    > If you have an EMOJI_LEFT_QUOTE, then
    > you are saying the text up until the EMOJI_RIGHT_QUOTE should be
    > used to select an emoji glyph. That is a mode.

    Compare with "if you have a > at the beginning of the line, then you
    are saying the text up until the line that does not start with a >
    should be displayed indented and colored". That is also a mode, so
    what?

    Leo