Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2009 - 08:44:48 CST

    2009/1/7 Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org>:

    > Plane 14 is where formatting characters go to die.

    Yes, I know ;-) ... but it is unlikely that we will ever encode
    another 65,000+ format characters, whereas it is quite conceivable
    that we will need every bit of the SMP for scripts and notational
    systems.

    > Then there are
    > the supplemental variation selectors, numbered 17 through 256, which may
    > only be used as defined by Unicode.

    The use of VS17-256 is by registration with Unicode, but is not
    directly defined by Unicode :-(

    > which so far has not defined any
    > sequences using a variation selector beyond "1". The chances of more than
    > 16 variations being formally defined for a single character seem about as
    > remote as the chances of the tag characters falling into favor again.

    I wouldn't be too sure about that. U+9089 has fifteen variations
    defined for it (VS17 through VS31) in respect of the Adobe-Japan1
    collection, and if Adobe ever needs to uniquely identify glyph
    variants in its numerous Latin-based fonts ... (and what we are all
    learning from recent events is that Unicode's encoding policy is not
    based on principles set in stone, but is dictated by the needs of big
    vendors such as Adobe and Google).

    Andrew