Whistler's Conjecture (was: Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2009 - 14:51:19 CST

    > *Whistler's Conjecture states that no characters will ever be encoded
    > beyond plane 2.

    > (Whistler's strict conjecture looks in doubt now :

    The strict conjecture still holds, of course, but I'd be inclined
    to agree with Andrew West now and to state, instead:

    Whistler's Revised Strict Conjecture: Other than Plane 14
    hazmat disposal, no characters will ever be encoded beyond Plane 3.

    This because the IRG and other Han enthusiasts have determined
    that Oracle Bone script (Jaiguwen), Bronze script (Jinwen),
    and Small Seal script (Xiao Zhuan) need to be disjointly
    encoded and have prevailed upon WG2 to approve the Tertiary
    Ideographic Plane to roadmap their allocations. (OT comments
    about Han fossils discovered on the Tertiary planes
    of China are invited.)

    I'm not expecting even initial proposals for the Tertiary
    Ideographic Plane to show up for some time yet, however.

    --Ken