RE: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Sat Jan 10 2009 - 13:30:24 CST

    From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On Behalf Of Leo Broukhis

    > Where's the (at least de facto) guarantee that in a year, or three, or
    > five, there will not be another 618*N characters because vendors will
    > have decided to allow the users to select background and foreground
    > colors ("smiling pale face at night"?), or to select the level of
    > animation of a particular icon ("snapshot of fireworks" vs
    > "fireworks"?) and will have provisionally encoded that yet again in
    > PUA instead of markup?

    Where do you get the impression that the JPN vendors are allowing users' whims to determine to such an extent what encoded emoji they define? I haven't seen any evidence to that effect.

    > How many columns will be definitely enough to pre-allocate for emoji?

    Since we are considering a specific set, not that plus some unknown future set, the maximal number of columns needed is not an issue.

    Peter