Re: Hand characters

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Sat Jan 10 2009 - 16:02:39 CST

    On 10 Jan 2009, at 20:23, Peter Constable wrote:

    > There's a good example of taking someone's comments out of context.
    > Ken's statement, in fact, was, "So a big... WHITE DOWN POINTING
    > THUMB... for the message QA." I.e., in that statement he was
    > commenting specifically on the incorrect code point references, not
    > on the encoding of any particular characters.

    Right. It was a typo in an informal discussion, so QA, which means
    "Quality assurance" or something, hardly applies there.

    By contrast, QA would be very important in checking the spelling of
    the Unicode character names before publishing, right?

    > As for the question of encoding particular characters, you were
    > mentioning symbols outside of any context, and without any context
    > one could very well question the need to encode those symbols.
    > Putting them into the context of something like SignWriting would
    > certainly change things.

    I thought it was obvious it was a joke, though with a serious intent.
    - Perhaps some joke markers should have been included.

       Hans