Unused Unicode planes (was: Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy)

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Sat Jan 10 2009 - 22:47:08 CST

    Michael D'Errico <mike dash list at pobox dot com> wrote:

    > So, really, the answer is that this has to be done in the unused
    > Unicode planes, at least until programming languages migrate to UTF-8
    > internally. Again, I'm not going to hold my breath.

    See, this is why people have to stop talking about how evil and
    dangerous the PUA is. Creative minds look for alternatives such as
    "extending" the Unicode architecture beyond plane 16, which is orders of
    magnitude more evil and dangerous.

    The Plane 14 language tags, which we all know are deprecated and
    considered totally unnecessary, were created in direct response to a
    similar proposal to "extend" UTF-8 by using invalid code unit sequences
    to encode language tags.

    http://www.ewellic.org