Re: Hand characters

From: Christopher Fynn (chris.fynn@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 11 2009 - 04:21:48 CST

    On 11/01/2009, Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com> wrote:
    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On
    > Behalf Of Christopher Fynn
    >
    >> How about hand-shapes like those at:
    >> <http://www.sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de/projekte/hamnosys/handformen/handformen.html>,
    >> <http://www.sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de/projekte/hamnosys/hamnosyserklaerungen/englisch/04handshapes.html>
    >> which have semantic meaning in sign language, those used in manual
    >> alphabets <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_alphabet>, or the
    >> traditional had gestures (mudrā) used in traditional Indian dance and
    >> ritual which have long established and well documented semantic meaning?

    > What their meaning is isn't too important. If someone thinks that there is
    > enough interchange to warrant encoding in the UCS, they can certainly submit
    > a proposal to encode them.

    > Of course, in some particular cases there may be questions of unification
    > with already-encoded characters or of possible rejection on the grounds that
    > a symbol is no more than a cipher-presentation of some already-encoded
    > character.

    For this reason I would like to see the proposed Hand Signals emoji
    (e-B93-eBA1), not unified with already encoded characters, encoded
    together in a block with sufficient space left to accommodate the
    basic hand signs used in sign language, manual alphabets, and Indian
    dance, ritual and iconography as well. Since there is a great deal of
    overlap between all these sets of hand signs I think sufficient space
    should be allocated so that they can be encoded together.

    - Chris