Re: Flag Symbols

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Sun Jan 11 2009 - 09:53:35 CST

    Kent Karlsson wrote:

    > I think it would be best to handle the flags as logos. After all, they
    > have much more in common with logos than with characters (at least IMO).
    > Note also that flags often have requirements on exact proportions/
    > placements, and exact colours (at least in certain contexts). Much
    > like a logo...

    They also tend to change when regimes change. Further, encoding flags is
    a major political hot potato, since it implies choices about recognition
    of states and non-state authorities. Not only countries have flags, but
    also every group of people who *want* to have a country. Some of those
    people end up getting countries. Not all of those countries are
    universally recognised by other states. It's a mess.

    JH

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com