RE: Cost of transition to UTF-8 for central census authorities

From: ktadenev@ups.com
Date: Mon Jan 12 2009 - 09:41:14 CST

    I agree, most of these are not valid issues. Just wanted to clarify a couple of points:
    1. varchar means bytes, nvarchar – characters in most cases. It is always best to refer to the respective DBMS documentation for details.
    2. Major databases support 2 types of sorts in UTF-8 – binary (default UTF-8) and culturally-sensitive. The latter is designed to provide proper order based on a national alphabet or other writing system. It is also useful to keep in mind that many sort products are UTF-8 compliant. UTF8 is also widely supported by all kinds of transport solutions such as FTP, http, WSMQ, JDBC, etc.

    Konstantin Tadenev