Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2009 - 18:15:40 CST

    Doug Ewell continued the argument:

    > dissatisfied with their carrier's emoji said they wanted a wider
    > variety. You don't think the vendors are going to notice that and start
    > playing leapfrog with each other to provide ever wider repertoires?

    As *characters*, no. For the reasons I just listed.
    And see Peter's link regarding DoCoMo Deco-Mail for directions
    this will head, instead, to satisfy users. In particular,
    see the discussion of Deco-mail pictograms. The carriers
    aren't dumb -- it's quite evident to them that repeated
    additions of gaiji encodings of SJIS are not a particularly
    extensible way to deal with users' expectations and yet
    still manage to have phones that work interoperably with
    other carriers.

    --Ken