Re: Obsolete characters

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Fri Jan 16 2009 - 12:31:57 CST

    Mark Davis wrote:

    > Note that there may have been some confusion from my message. By
    > "obsolete" or "archaic", we don't mean that the character itself is
    > deprecated or that people shouldn't use it; what we mean is that it
    > isn't customarily used in modern languages in typical publications
    > (corner newspapers, magazines, etc.).

    As well as archaic characters, there are a considerable number of
    characters -- Hebrew cantillation accents, Arabic Qur'anic marks --
    whose use is limited to religious texts and, indeed, to a single book or
    small number of texts. These might also be usefully distinguished from
    common or quotidian characters in modern language use.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com