Re: Armenian numbering: findings, recommendations and request to CSS WG

From: fantasai (fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2009 - 16:33:42 CST

    Richard Ishida wrote:
    > RECOMMENDATIONS
    >
    > Change CSS3 text so say one of the following:
    > 1. armenian is a synonym of upper-armenian
    > 2. the case of list-style-type: armenian is implementation-defined
    >
    > I would recommend that IE8 use upper-case to conform to the behaviour of all
    > other major browsers tested.
    >
    > Change the CSS3 text to say one of the following:
    > 1. 7000 is represented by Ւ U+0552 ARMENIAN CAPITAL LETTER YIWN
    > 2. 7000 is typically represented by Ւ U+0552 ARMENIAN CAPITAL LETTER YIWN
    > but some implementations may prefer to use ՈՒ (U+0548 U+0552), noting
    > that this involves potential for ambiguity
    >
    > I would recommend that IE8 use the single character, in line with Firefox and Opera.
    >
    > Change the CSS3 text to say one of the following:
    > 1. armenian numbering is only defined in this specification as far as 9,999.
    > Beyond that the representation is implementation-defined.
    > 2. armenian numbering is only defined in this specification as far as 9,999.
    > Higher numbers will be defined in a later version of the specification.
    >
    > I'm not sure what to recommend to IE8.
    >
    > I would recommend that all browsers consider implementing upper-armenian and
    > lower-armenian to provide Armenian users with a choice.

    Hello Richard, www-international, and unicode-ml,

    I have, with smontagu's help, updated the CSS Working Group's internal Editor's
    Draft to
       - use U+0552/U+0582 for 7000
       - limit the Armenian numbering system to 9999
    as you recommended. Please review those changes, they are visible here:
       http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-lists/#upper-armenian
       http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-lists/#lower-armenian
       diff @ http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/csswg/css3-lists/Overview.src.html.diff?r1=1.3&r2=1.7
       colored diff @ http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/csswg/css3-lists/Overview.src.html.diff?r1=1.3&r2=1.7&f=h

    The CSS Working Group will discuss the appropriate synonym mapping for the
    'armenian' keyword, and we will post our resolution to www-style.

    Thank you for your investigation and feedback,
    ~fantasai