Re: India seeks Rupee status symbol

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Mar 10 2009 - 16:57:17 CST

    Raymond Mercier responded:

    > Kenneth Whistler writes
    >
    > >I suggest we don't. That is just a silly idea, after the "Rs"
    > >U+20A8 RUPEE SIGN has been in the standard for 18 years.
    >
    > It's a lot older than that. I have a volume of a journal dated
    > 1902 with "Price Rs. 9-0 per annum", printed on the cover
    > (note the italics).

    Oh, of course. I'm not claiming that the use of the
    convention "Rs" or "Rs." to abbreviate the rupee currency
    and stand as a currency symbol for it dates from 1991.
    It is much older than that.

    I was only claiming that as an encoded character in the
    Unicode Standard (with the current glyph) it dates
    from 1991 (and in ISO/IEC 10646 from 1993).

    For reasons already cited on this thread, it would be a very
    bad idea to change the glyph of U+20A8 RUPEE SIGN to
    some new design.

    If India designs and standardizes on a new currency symbol,
    we can just encode a new character to represent it.

    BTW, this discussion is recapitulating positions taken
    a dozen years ago, back in late 1996 and early 1997, when
    we were debating the addition of what became U+20AC EURO SIGN.
    Some folks back then wanted to just change the glyph
    of the existing U+20A0 EURO-CURRENCY SIGN -- and we had
    to push up FAQs for awhile after Unicode 2.1 came out
    emphasizing that the EURO SIGN was U+20AC and *NOT*
    U+20A0. Fortunately, the right decisions were taken back
    then, and things eventually sorted themselves out correctly.

    --Ken