Re: India seeks Rupee status symbol

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Mar 10 2009 - 18:00:46 CST

    Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:27:55 -0700 (PDT)
    From: Kenneth Whistler <kenw@atlantis-new.sybase.com>
    Subject: Re: India seeks Rupee status symbol
    To: everson@evertype.com
    Cc: kenw@birdie.sybase.com
    Content-MD5: OiET+tV9pnTiP3Rx+hDslw==

    > On 10 Mar 2009, at 22:57, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
    >
    > > BTW, this discussion is recapitulating positions taken
    > > a dozen years ago, back in late 1996 and early 1997, when
    > > we were debating the addition of what became U+20AC EURO SIGN.
    > > Some folks back then wanted to just change the glyph
    > > of the existing U+20A0 EURO-CURRENCY SIGN -- and we had
    > > to push up FAQs for awhile after Unicode 2.1 came out
    > > emphasizing that the EURO SIGN was U+20AC and *NOT*
    > > U+20A0. Fortunately, the right decisions were taken back
    > > then, and things eventually sorted themselves out correctly.
    >
    > Um, No, because the EURO-CURRENCY SIGN actually pointed to a
    > *different* currency than the EURO SIGN did.

    Um, Yes, because not everybody understood that at the time,
    and there *were* proposals to simply change the glyph
    of U+20A0 for the newly designed euro sign.

    I didn't say that *you* wanted to do that, or that
    another currency wasn't involved (actually a currency
    basket).

    By the way, the most telling argument against changing the
    glyph of U+20A8 RUPEE SIGN is precisely that it is being
    used to represent *other* currencies besides the Indian
    rupee. So if the Indian government invents a new symbol,
    it cannot just drag along the symbol for other currencies from other
    countries with it.

    So paraphrasing you, U+20A8 actually points to *different*
    currencies than just the Indian rupee.

    --Ken