RE: Does OpenOffice 3.0 handle unicode?

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sat Mar 21 2009 - 16:10:27 CST

    > >> Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:
    > > I used the term volontarly with a "quite" just before to
    > moderate it.
    >
    > In all the dialects of English that I am familiar with,
    > "quite" in that context emphasizes rather than moderates, so
    > that your statement had exactly the opposite effect of what
    > you evidently intended.

    I've always used or read the term "quite" as a way to moderate the force of
    an expression, assuming a translation of the French conditional conjugation
    and the adverbal expression "quelque peu" (i.e. for some undeterminate final
    state that was still far of being reached but to which it would easily point
    to if continued in the same direction), in opposition to "presque" (nearly,
    almost) that is used to qualify a well determined goal that can be
    considered reached from many views.

    Now that I realize that this word actually emphasizes the meaning instead of
    reducing its force (I have just verified and it was not was I supposed it
    meant, thanks for pointing it), then I'm "quite" sorry (very sorry then)
    that this has caused troubles.

    Don't insist on this unimportant term, I realize it was misunderstood, even
    if there was the colon ":" just after to explicit what was really intended.
    The sentence was not alone.