Mapping of SJIS control characters

From: Tim Greenwood (timothy.greenwood@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 23 2009 - 13:30:50 CST

    This question really belongs in the ICU-support mail list, but I tried
    there and had no response. Some of the people who hang out here are
    good at answering these obscure questions.

    The mapping from SJIS to Unicode (as seen on
    http://www.icu-project.org/icu-bin/convexp?conv=ibm-943_P15A-2003&s=ALL
    ) has three odd conversions in the control range.

    0x1A -> 0x1C
    0x1C -> 0x7F
    0x7F -> 0x1A

    I do not see anything equivalent in EUCJP mappings, nor can I find any
    reference that shows JIS201differing from standard practice in the
    control codes.
    I know that Unicode no longer supports these mapping tables, and even
    when it did the SJIS table does not define these ranges.

    Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

    Tim