Re: writing direction

From: Aviah Morag - TransLink (aviah@translinkpro.com)
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 02:35:13 CST

    Cute!

    What I never understood is this: why do we drive on the right in Israel,
    which was a former British Mandate? And while we're at it, why do the Brits
    drive on the left and pass on the right on the roads, but do the exact
    opposite (quite scrupulously so) on escalators?

    Seriously, now - neither changing/altering the writing direction nor
    changing the driving direction is without historical precendent. You can
    still find RTL Greek inscriptions out there, including in a Crusader
    fortress right near our house. And in Japan, far-right groups use RTL text
    as a political symbol for "ancient times" or "tradition."

    I'm not aware of any studies on whether RTL language speakers are more prone
    to "look right," etc. Like most (all?) of the Middle East (and
    Mediterranean, and Southern California!), we're not exactly the picture of
    traffic safety. :-/

    Best,
    Aviah