Re: writing direction

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 11:18:39 CST

    Vinod Kumar wrote:

    > Now consider the incoming traffic. ...
    >
    > Now consider driving along, reading the sign boards on the side of
    > the road you are on. ...

    It would seem to me that where writing-system direction comes into play
    would mainly be for signs, which would mostly be on the side of the road
    that you are on. I would think it would be most helpful if the reading
    direction would lead your eye back onto the road, so driving on the left
    would work for LTR languages and on the right for RTL languages. But
    the effect is so small, who cares...

    I remember in a class on presentations once they told me that when
    presenting and referring to a slide being projected on the screen, you
    should stand on the right side of the screen (right side as you face the
    audience; the audience's left) and gesture or point at the slide using
    your left hand. That way the reader easily moves from you to what
    you're pointing to, and at the beginning of the line.

    ~mark