Re: On the possibility of encoding a portable interpretable object code into Unicode

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Mar 27 2009 - 07:03:36 CST

    On Thursday, 26 March 2009, John H. Jenkins <jenkins@apple.com> wrote:

    > First of all, I don't see why having a virtual machine
    > programmed in as dedicated character code points is any
    > better than having a virtual machine programmed via ASCII.
    > It might be more compact, but from an implementation
    > standpoint, that's about it's only advantage.

    The sequence of characters is not stateful as regards what is text and what is software. There might be a partial exception in that string literals within software will be expressed by using Unicode characters and whether a character is in a string literal or not will be a stateful matter. For example, if a text document has an interactive illustration and the illustration displays some text as a prompt for user input or displays some text within the illustration.

    > To show what you're up against, just look over the
    > history of Java and remember that it started out with a
    > major player in IT pushing it.

    Java has been used to implement my telesoftware invention, both in Java TV and in the MHP system.

    > And Java distinguishes the
    > text used to write programs from the portable byte code used
    > to implement them. You, on the other hand, are going
    > against fifty years' experience in CS of making a
    > distinction between the text used to write programs and the
    > machine language used to execute it.

    Well, I learned of the FORTH computer language many years ago and it has greatly influenced me at various times.

    > You'll have to convince people to write editors or
    > compilers/assemblers, debuggers, and so on.

    Well, if there is interest in the idea, they may well write such items of their own volition.

    > You'll have
    > to get a set of experts together to hammer out the details
    > of the architecture and syntax.

    Well, if there is interest in the idea, they may well get together of their own volition.

    > You'll have to determine how it will be displayed on systems that support it.

    Well, that will need to be done, not necessarily by me.

    > What is supposed to happen if the user has a regular
    > font installed covering these code points?

    That is why I am trying to get such a system into regular Unicode rather than keep it in a Private Use Area.

    > How will the
    > user distinguish cases where they want to *see* the code and
    > cases where they want to *execute* it?

    Normally it would be executed. Loading a file in editor mode would allow inspection.

    > What happens if they don't want to do either?

    Then do not use a portable interpretable object code enabled application package.

    > What triggers execution, anyway?

    The finish; command.

    In the 7001 processor this is encoded as U+F7C7F finish; which is Alt 1014911 when keyed using Microsoft WordPad.

    > What happens when execution stops?

    The final display is left on the screen.

    > What happens if execution *fails* to stop?

    An animated illustration could run indefinitely.

    > What happens if the code attempts something illegal like dividing by zero?

    A good point. The system will need to have an exception handling facility. Thank you for drawing this to my attention.

    > What will happen if this is embedded, say, in a URI or email or a file name?

    I do not know at present.

    > What happens if it's embedded in a word processing document?

    It executes or displays the code, depending upon the view mode of the application.

    > artwork?

    I do not know at present.

    > spread sheet?

    I do not know at present.

    > record in a database?

    I do not know at present.

    > instant message?

    I do not know at present.

    > Web page?

    It executes.

    > comment on a blog?

    It executes.

    > somebody's character name in an MMORPG?

    I do not know at present.

    > What are systems that don't support it supposed to do with it?

    Gracefully ignore it.

    > How will you prevent people from using it to write viruses,
    > trojan horses, and other malware?

    I do not know at present. However, if, say, the interpreter were implemented in Java, would Java security provide the necessary protection?

    > Where does input come from?

    Well, the 7001 processor has no user input. For a developed system implemented in regular Unicode, input could be from the end user or maybe some other source, such as a temperature sensor.

    > Can it interact with a GUI?

    I do not know at present.

    > How do you display output?

    The 7001 processor has just the putpixel(x,y,r,g,b); command at U+F7F77.
    For a developed system implemented in regular Unicode, it would depend on what facilities the Unicode Technical Committee encoded.

    > What is supposed to happen if you print it?

    I do not know at present.

    > Where is data stored?

    In things such as a C or Java integer variable or array, or in a C or Java floating point variable or array, or in a C or Java character variable or array and so on.

    > How will this interact with the various operating systems in existence?

    They would be running an application program such as a text display program. I am thinking that if the operating system can use Adobe Reader then it could use an application that has a portable interpretable object code engine within it.

    > How does it interact with the applications on those systems?

    Well, as I envisage it at present, it should not need to interact with anything outside the application that is running it.

    > There are a hundred other questions that will need specific answers.

    Well, you are welcome to mention them.

    > *Plus* you'll have to convince people to use it, and
    > enough of them that you reach critical mass.

    Well, maybe, maybe not. Maybe critical mass is already on the way to being achieved as a result of this thread and it is just a matter of time as people read this thread and think about it.

    > Once that is done, you'll have to show that there is a
    > practical reason why this has to be implemented in Unicode
    > and convince the UTC and WG2 that such encoding as plain
    > text is the best solution to the practical problem(s)
    > involved.

    Well, it would not need to be me that convinces the Unicode Technical Committee.

    > By and large, any proposal for something which is not at
    > least arguably "plain text" will not be favorably
    > looked upon as a candidate for inclusion in Unicode. (N.B.,
    > I said "arguably". Personally, I don't think
    > this is even arguably plain text and is, at best, a solution
    > in search of a problem, but I don't want to resurrect
    > any of the past wars we've seen on certain candidates
    > proposed for encoding.)

    Well, I think that I have not claimed that it is plain text.

    William Overington