RE: Old Hungarian at SC2/WG2

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Mar 30 2009 - 09:53:12 CST

    From: André Szabolcs Szelp [a.sz.szelp@gmail.com]

    > Bakonyi's proposal's fault is very simple to explain.
    >
    > It only encodes a small subset of historic signs which he feels to be
    > "the true script".

    That doesn't go against any Unicode / UCS principles; it simply reflects a disagreement within the expert community as to what is the inventory that needs to be encoded.

    Suppose two parties disagree on the inventory, A saying that a text element x needs to be encoded, while B saying it should not. If B's claim is that x can be represented by some sequence of characters there is consensus to encode, then that's something that needs to be resolved. But if B's claim is that x doesn't merit representation while A has a clear use requirement, then the committees may disregard B's objections.

    This is, of course, simplifying: if the situation is not clear enough to the committees, then they might accept a subset, waiting for clarification or consensus before accepting x, or they might decide to hold off on everything.

    > Bakonyi's proposal is -- in general -- not necessary to be considered,
    > as it is a true subset of both alternative proposals (as it has been
    > demonstrated by N3532: Mapping between Old Hungarian proposals in
    > N3531, N3527, and N3526 by Michael Everson.

    Well, that may depend on why Bakonyi excludes some characters. (I haven't reviewed all these docs yet, so don't know the reason.)

    > The question of Gábor Hosszú's proposal is slightly less trivial, but
    > it can be summed up saying that it counters Unicode principles by
    > encoding a large number of precomposed ligatures wich cannot be
    > analyzed as characters in their own right.

    I assume you mean that they *could* be represented as sequences of characters which there is consensus to encode. If so, then it does sound like that would contradict one of the encoding principles.

    Peter