Re: ASCII as a subset of Unicode (was: Re: Oxford proposes a leaner alphabet)

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Sat Apr 11 2009 - 16:06:39 CDT

    Jonathan Rosenne wrote:

    >> Actually, I was under the impression that ASCII was defined in terms
    >> of 7-bit code units, whereas there are virtually no computers or
    >> users
    >> today who think in terms of 7-bit code units.
    >
    > There weren't such computers then, it was a communication code and 7
    > bits were used for communication.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "such" here, but in fact, even in the 1980s
    and early 1990s, DECsystem-10 and -20 (PDP-10 and -20) used a word length of
    36 bits, packing five 7-bit ASCII characters in one word (and using the
    spare bit for special purposes).

    ASCII was surely designed to allow implementations where 7 bits are used for
    one character. Don't confuse this with the current situation where such
    implementations are obsolete and "everyone" uses at least 8 bits for a
    character, even when working with ASCII only.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/