RE: ASCII as a subset of Unicode (was: Re: Oxford proposes a leaner alphabet)

From: Don Osborn (dzo@bisharat.net)
Date: Sun Apr 12 2009 - 08:06:20 CDT

    Veering slightly offtopic here: ASCII (as characters) has also entered the lexicon, if you will, as a way of describing Basic Latin in a computing context. In this expansion of usage, it is also found as an adjective, a derived verb, and noun derived from that verb. For example:

    ASCII orthography

    ASCII transcription

    ASCII transliteration

    ASCII alphabet

    ASCIIfy (meaning to convert either complex text into ASCII characters, or artwork/designs into "ASCII art" using ASCII characters [within whatever encoding - Unicode, 8859-1 …]; I suppose it could also refer to changing the encoding to ASCII as well)

    ASCIIfication

    None of this is news to folks on this list, but I'd be curious to know if anyone has tracked this phenomenon and written anything about it. I.e., the interaction of character sets associated with particular encoding schemes and what people do with text and how they refer to it.

    Don