Re: proposal for a "Standard-Exit" or "Namespace" character

From: Dennis Heuer (dh@triple-media.com)
Date: Tue Apr 14 2009 - 00:13:29 CDT

    On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 00:06:50 -0400
    "Mark E. Shoulson" <mark@kli.org> wrote:

    > Don't these two paragraphs contradict one another? On the one hand, you
    > want a character in Unicode (in ISO 10646) that always and eternally
    > means something, so there is no "if" involved, and on the other hand
    > you say that Unicode isn't always going to be there to determine things
    > always and forever. There's the "if" of "if we are using ISO 10646" and
    > the "if" of "if we are using ISO 2022." One of those "if"s is
    > acceptable but the other one isn't?

    these two mentioned paragraphs actually have no interrelation. can't
    see your argument. that unicode will never be the only character set
    doesn't mean that this affects daily tasks. there will just always be
    different (possibly proprietary) approaches and also character sets not
    neccessary to unicode, like all gaming fonts on earth (with symbols for
    all weapons, spaceships or whatever.) this said, there will be other
    character sets, which will be used in parallel but not in concurrence.
    they should be includable easily and reliably (not by escape codes) but
    they don't dominate daily life. having a sane code for this, which
    always and ever keeps its meaning, doesn't conflict in any to me
    visible way with the truth that unicode will always stay incomplete.
    also, if it were complete, ISO-2022 would be useless, wouldn't it???

    also, looking at ISO-2022, unicode clearly has won!

    > (As for "code blocks outside the official character set", I direct your
    > attention to the Private Use Area, which is exactly what they are for:
    > blocks of code to be used outside the official character set.)

    in the case of typographic codes defined for being supported in general
    text editors, messaging systems, etc. the private use area doesn't seem
    to be appropriate to me. also, i was proposing characters for the
    inclusion 'into' the official character set. seems that you just want
    to block? at least, you did not answer to the proposal.

    regards,
    dennis