Re: Localizable Sentences Experiment

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 11:41:57 CDT

    William Overington wrote,

    > If I may, I would like to send you a Private Use Area
    > character as follows.
    >
    > U+F9001 LOCALIZABLE SENTENCE GOOD DAY
    >
    > [and in a subsequent post]
    >
    > Oops, when I sent the email it seems to have truncated at
    > the U+F9001 character.

    When I clicked on the *.TXT file attachment (in MSIE 7.0 using
    EarthLink's web mail interface), I was prompted to open, save,
    or cancel. When I selected open, a pop-up security screen appeared
    alerting me that the file was restricted because the content did
    not match the security information. I opened it anyway to find
    that it is a text file displaying only one character, U+F9001.

    (I tried to open the file a second time in order to get the exact
    wording of the security pop-up window, but it did not appear
    the second time around.)

    The truncation of William Overington's message at the U+F9001
    character seems unusual. I'd like to try to insert a special
    character in this message to see if the same thing happens.

    U+F9001 LOCALIZABLE PHRASE THE CHECK IS IN THE MAIL

    (I will attempt insertion of the special character immediately
    before my closing signature so that if the truncation happens
    nobody will miss much of anything.)

    In addition to testing for possible truncation, this letter serves
    to illustrate that William Overington and I have interoperability
    problems due to conflicting usage of P.U.A. characters. The one
    solution to this interoperability problem that I can see would be
    for Unicode to step in and standardize these localizable phrases.

    󹀁

    Best regards,

    James Kass