Re: Determining Locale in a Browser for Web 2.0 Applications

From: Christopher Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Sat Apr 18 2009 - 02:32:36 CDT

    I don't know how easy or reliable detecting locale is. Here in Bhutan I
    find 95% of computers set to locale USA and the input language also set
    to en-US. Of course on Windows there is no dz-BT or en-BT locale
    available - Though you can choose "Bhutan" as location in Regional
    Settings, you then have to go somewhere else to select "(GMT+6) Dhaka"
    in Time Zones. - Why didn't they link "location" and "time zone" together?.

    This causes all kinds of problems ~ time zone is wrong, printers assume
      8.25 x 11in paper instead of A4, month and date are in the wrong
    order, and spell check assumes US English. Even when users manage to
    change the input to en-GB they then get problems with their keyboard
    because they don't seem to know how to configure for English GB with US
    Keyboard layout. (Why do computers shipped in South & SE Asia inevitably
    come with a US keyboard layout instead of international?)

    Even though I have always had the preferred language in my browser set
    to en-gb, for a long time Google thought I was in Hong Kong and
    defaulted to a zh-HK search page. My guess this was because my ISP was
    using a satellite that down-linked to HK.

    - Chris