RE: Determining Locale in a Browser for Web 2.0 Applications

From: Phillips, Addison (addison@amazon.com)
Date: Mon Apr 20 2009 - 23:32:43 CDT

    A few notes on this thread. Note that these are *personal* comments, notwithstanding my .sig.

    "Language preference" isn't quite the same thing as "locale", although they are closely related. Locale is a programming concept useful in many ways, but mostly to do with APIs.

    The Accept-Language header was intended to do language negotiation, but since implementation of it is inconsistent and since managing it is quite arcane, language negotiation via Accept-Language (A-L) alone is usually not fully satisfying. Sites that rely solely on A-L eventually tend to migrate to some form of personalization scheme (such as cookies) to track the actual user preference---even Google does this today. [Implementers should read and understand RFC 4647 and the "lookup" algorithm to avoid spotty performance such as that cited by Peter Krefting below. RFC 2616 is just too vague to make an effective algorithm.]

    "Navigator.language" is sometimes a synonym for A-L, however, knowing the language isn't all that useful in the browser, since JavaScript-the-language has no locale facet and locale-based formatting is not under programmatic control. Typically the JavaScript locale matches the system or user default locale where the browser is running, so locale-specific formatting ends up being a server-side task (or it risks being inconsistent with the server-side content). In XmlHttpRequests (for "REST" style or so-called "Web 2.0" interactions) one often sees the locale being transmitted using the A-L header, since programmers assume that's what the header is for, with the value poked into the header being stored as a session variable of some kind.

    Geolocation is not as bad as Peter Krefting makes it sound below. I know my general reaction to is has been negative---just because I'm in the Frankfurt airport doesn't mean I want German content, to pay in Euros, etc. However, geolocation can be exceedingly useful for finding "locality", local resources, or when all else fails (uncookied A-L-free browser pointed at a generic URI).

    Most sites that do language/locale negotiation end up providing some form of user interaction for managing the language following the negotiation process (hence the prevalence of cookie-ing or URL-rewriting) so that users can get what they want. With multiple ways of getting it wrong, you have to allow the user to adapt.

    Overall, the whole thing is a bit of a patchwork mess. Each Web technology seems to choose a different approach, none of which are wholly wrong. And, indeed, there is work to try and address this at W3C. Specifically, the I18N WG is trying to complete work on two documents: "LTLI" (Language Tags and Locale Identifiers) and WS-I18N, promoting other standards (CLDR! IETF BCP 47!) and trying to lobby other W3C working groups (for example, WebApps, sometimes with some success to provide for consistent approaches.

    Do note that the latest BCP 47 (RFC4646bis) is in last call at the IETF right now. One thing browser vendors could do is implement it, since that would address some gaps in language coverage as well as the problem of script identification in locale identifiers.

    And anyone interested should really consider participating in the W3C Internationalization WG. We could use the help.

    Regards,

    Addison

    Addison Phillips
    Globalization Architect -- Lab126