Re: Pb with Unicode Tifinagh with Internet Explorer

From: Andrew Cunningham (lang.support@gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 26 2009 - 01:38:55 CDT

    2009/5/26 Damon Anderson <damon@corigo.com>

    > I'm late to this conversation but opened the html file below in:
    >
    > 1. Safari - boxes
    > 2. IE 8 - boxes
    > 3. Opera 9.x and 10 alpha - boxes
    > 4. Chrome - boxes
    > 5. Firefox - characters
    > 6. OpenOffice - boxes
    >
    > I would have to say Firefox is the clear winner in this case. Something is
    > definately better than nothing... and I hate Firefox.

    although Tifinagh is a fairly straight forward case. Burmese would be more
    interesting case. If a page doesn't reference particular fonts, Firefox will
    select a font for you. But the question is which font does it select, how
    does it determine appropriate fonts, and will the text actually be legible
    with the chosen font.

    E.g. you have a Bumrese webpage without font declarations, it is Unicode 5.1
    text. You have the following fonts on your system: Myanmar1, Myanmar3 and
    Zawgyi. Which will Firefox use? What are the chances that you can actually
    read the page?

    Browsers should allow users to set default fonts. But that isn't currently
    possible in all scripts across most browsers (if any)..

    --
    Andrew Cunningham
    Vicnet Research and Development Coordinator