RE: Pb with Unicode Tifinagh with Internet Explorer

From: Sergey Malkin (sergeym@windows.microsoft.com)
Date: Wed May 27 2009 - 13:26:14 CDT

    > But I am also not aware of installing any such font which would make Firefox
    > be able to display it though. I'll dig into it to see why it works.

    This may be Code2000.

    IE is relying on fonts supplied with the system. This makes at least some sense, because in this case OS will have other necessary stuff to support the language, like Uniscribe shaping. There is some flexibility in font fallback, allowing user to choose fonts per script, but list of such scripts is currently limited.

    Firefox is looking through all fonts installed on the system to find one containing given characters, and choice may be pretty random. If I am site developer, I would not rely on user to have font installed and exactly this font to be picked up by browser. Make it specified explicitly on your page. This is what is done for most of the pages, you specify fonts you prefer your page to be displayed with in order of your preference. This is matter of page style. I did not hear anybody complain doing this for pages using Latin script, we just get it for granted that most fonts contain Latin characters. And if you want to be really sure text in particular language is displayed on any machine, use embedded fonts.

    Thanks,
    Sergey