Old Italic in RTL ??

From: David Perry (hospes.primus@verizon.net)
Date: Sun May 31 2009 - 14:21:58 CDT

    I want to print some text using the Old Italic characters in RTL mode,
    mixed in with English. I type the following, where [RLO] is a right to
    left override and [[PDF] is a pop directional format:

            English text [RLO]OLD ITALIC[PDF] more English

    but I get "OLD ITALIC" instead of "CILATI DLO" where OLD ITALIC contains
    characters in the range U+10300 ff. If I do the same using English
    instead of Old Italic characters, the text between the RLO and the PDF
    appears backwards, which I think is exactly what should happen. Given
    that Old Italic characters are strongly LTR, like the Latin script, why
    is the behavior different? Is there something special about Plane 1
    characters? I have tried in Notepad and also BabelPad on Windows Vista,
    using three different fonts that contain the Old Italic block. (For the
      record: I know that I also need mirrored shapes for many of the
    characters, and I can handle that; I just don't understand why the
    directional marks don't work.)

    Thanks - David