Re: Jyutping Phrase Box to be removed (was: Unihan database: kCangjie field)

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Mon Jun 15 2009 - 20:29:58 CDT

    ¦b Jun 15, 2009 4:35 PM ®É¡A Christoph Burgmer ¼g¨ì¡G

    > As this is the only source of Cantonese pronunciation in the Unihan
    > 5.1.0
    > tables it is sad to hear.

    The Jyutping Phrase Box is only one of ten sources for Cantonese
    readings in Unicode 5.1.0. All-in-all, out of over 20,000 characters
    with Cantonese readings, fewer than half-a-dozen had readings derived
    solely from the Jyutping Phrase Box. Removing the Jyutping Phrase Box
    as a source made virtually no change to the actual contents of the
    standard.

    > Will there be an equally good substitute in 5.2.0 or will the
    > Jyutping Phrase
    > Box be available from another source outside Unicode?

    There are nine equally good substitutes :-). So far as I know, the
    Jyutping Phrase Box remains available, but to be honest, it doesn't
    have as many readings or as many characters with readings as does
    Unicode, even without the JPB as a source.

    =====
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com