Re: Gwoyeu Romatzyh marking the optional neutral tone

From: Christoph Burgmer (cburgmer@ira.uka.de)
Date: Mon Jul 13 2009 - 10:27:22 CDT

    Am Montag, 13. Juli 2009 schrieben Sie:
    > Christoph,
    > of course it was Y. R. Chao (and Lin Yutang) who developed —and hence
    > defined— Gwoyeu Romatzyh (GR).
    >
    > As far as I know, however, the Chinese Republic’s government made GR
    > their official (or ‘standard’) romanization scheme in 1928, while Chao
    > introduced the ‘optional neutral tone marker’ we are talking about much
    > later, in ‘A Grammar of Spoken Chinese’. I doubt this usage ever became
    > the national standard of the Republic.

    Sounds reasonable. I'm missing the actual standard here, so I can't argue on
    that.

    That leaves me with the question if I rather use rich-text instead of
    "abusing" a codepoint not designed for my purpose. And if so, which symbol
    would fit best.

    The implementation should be adaptable weather to convert "ig" to "i.geh" or
    "igeh" (in Pinyin yīge and yīgè), so supporting the optional tone in some ways
    seems indispensable.

    -Christoph