RE: Gwoyeu Romatzyh marking the optional neutral tone

From: Joe (joe@unicode.org)
Date: Tue Jul 14 2009 - 00:36:08 CDT

    >>> In that case, Unicode has just what the doctor ordered:
    >>> U+FF61 HALFWIDTH IDEOGRAPHIC FULL STOP

    >> I beg to differ. What we need is *proportional* ideographic full stop
    >> (neither full with nor half width, i.e. not monospaced/fixed width).

    > The characteristic of the two ideographic full stops is that they sit in
    > the left side of the character cell (at least that's a "typical" glyph
    > representation for them, even if variations occur). If that one-sidedness
    > is what you object to, then, in my view, you would indeed need a new character.

    A./,

    Would it be correct to say that what is being discussed here is a character the same as U+FF61 HALFWIDTH IDEOGRAPHIC FULL STOP except having the EastAsianWidth property Na(rrow), same as plain old U+002E FULL STOP and the rest of ASCII?

    That would seem to represent Chao's presumed intention: his usage in Gwoyeu Romatzyh is, after all, specifically in the context of a romanization.

    Jou (Pinyin-free!)