Re: Visarga, ardhavisarga and anusvara -- combining marks or not?

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Sun Sep 06 2009 - 21:45:35 CDT

    "verdy_p" <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    >> I haven't been following this thread too closely, so this is probably
    >> out of context, but you need to be very careful if you are suggesting
    >> changes to character properties on the basis that some existing
    >> software doesn't follow the rules and display the characters
    >> correctly.
    >
    > Word and IE are probably based on the same default Windows script
    > engine. I don't know exactly what Qt does, but it probably uses the
    > default script rendering engine from the underlying OS.
    > So may be it's Windows that needs to be updated. So the match is won 3
    > vs. 1 (only Windows).
    >
    > It's strange that you consider that the majority of softwares don't
    > follow the rules and display the characters properly. It gives some
    > hints about what are "the rules"? Is that Windows that gives them ?

    If you mean me, you need to re-read what I wrote. It was Shriramana
    Sharma who said that some existing software (not necessarily a majority)
    didn't display the characters correctly. I am sure some does and some
    doesn't, but that wasn't my point. My point was that none of this is a
    justification for suggesting changes to Unicode character properties.
    Sharma replied (more than two weeks ago) that he had other
    justifications, and so I dropped the matter.

    --
    Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
    RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s