Re: Run-time checking of fonts for Sinhala support

From: Harshula (harshula@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 07 2009 - 11:12:17 CDT

    Hi Doug,

    On Sun, 2009-09-06 at 13:09 -0600, Doug Ewell wrote:
    > "Harshula" <harshula at gmail dot com> wrote:
    >
    > > Taking these *realities* into account the operating system needs to
    > > have an *intelligent* way to determine if a particular font is
    > > sufficiently complete to be used for the UI. On some operating systems
    > > there is already a layer/mechanism that is responsible for doing
    > > exactly that.
    >
    > Note that people are not necessarily saying it's a bad idea for an
    > operating system to do this type of runtime checking, if it can be done
    > efficiently and effectively. Users obviously want text in their
    > language to be displayed correctly.

    I agree. How do we get there? There's probably more than one approach
    that can be undertaken in parallel to achieve that goal.

    > Where you are running into resistance on this list is where you argue
    > that the checking MUST be done for compliance with a national standard,
    > and where your posts blur the distinction between (a) whether you feel
    > it is important for an OS to do the checking and (b) whether the
    > standard actually requires it.

    Firstly, I actually said "should", not "MUST": "Operating systems
    should, at a minimum, check that a Sinhala font meets these requirements
    before using it."

    Secondly, I have been requesting feedback on the wording of a possible
    amendment. Taking the feedback into account, the updated wording is:

    'Operating systems shall, to the extent of their capabilities, only
    recognise Level 1 compliant fonts as Sinhala fonts.'

    The intent is that if the operating system already checks font
    compliance then it must adhere to Level 1 compliance for the aspects it
    can/does check. The other option is to change the "shall" to a "should".
    i.e. change it to a recommendation.

    What do you think?

    cya,
    #