Re: Current software support for NBSP + combining marks

From: Shriramana Sharma (samjnaa@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 08 2009 - 07:08:22 CDT

    On 2009-Sep-08 15:52, David J. Perry wrote:
    > It looks to me (please excuse my ignorance of Indic languages) as though
    > 0901 is supposed to be a combining mark, not a spacing character. It is
    > printed over a dotted circle in the Unicode book, which is the
    > convention for combining marks. Spacing versions of a few combining
    > accents are encoded separately and are, indeed, displayed without the
    > dotted circle. Compare 0300 vs 0060, the combining and spacing grave
    > accents respectively. You can't make a combining mark into a spacing
    > character just by putting a NBSP before it. If it is defined in the
    > standard as a combining character, most software will automatically put
    > in the dotted circle.

    My point was that some software does not use a dotted circle for all
    combining marks. I never said I wanted to "convert" (non-spacing)
    combining marks into spacing characters. I only said that I wanted to
    display combining marks in isolation and the method that the Unicode
    standard prescribes for this, viz applying them to NBSP as a base
    character, does not work on all software.

    --
    Shriramana Sharma