Re: Twitter started supporting emoji in Japan

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Mon Oct 19 2009 - 21:41:22 CDT

    Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> replied to John Burger:

    >> I presume there are some success stories for this process: Some
    >> character, or even better a script or other coherent collection of
    >> characters, is in use for some time in the PUA, and is then elevated
    >> by ISO/UTC to an officially blessed region in Unicode. Can someone
    >> relate such a story, or at least point to a current Unicode
    >> character/script that followed that path?
    >
    > Shavian, Deseret, and Phaistos Disc previously had CSUR encodings.
    > http://www.evertype.com/standards/csur/

    Certainly there are examples of characters and scripts to which someone
    assigned PUA mappings, before they were formally encoded in Unicode. In
    addition to these three CSUR examples, there are several archaic Latin
    characters now in Unicode that were originally encoded in the PUA by the
    Medieval Unicode Font Initiative (www.mufi.info). There may be examples
    from other PUA usage as well.

    But that wasn't my point, although it serves as a nice lead-in to remind
    folks that UTC and WG2 do not necessarily interpret the presence of a
    character of script in someone's PUA encoding as a stepping stone to
    formal encoding. John's word "elevated" might tend to imply that there
    is a logical progression from PUA to Unicode, and that is not
    necessarily the case.

    My point was that Yasuo Kida's assertion...

    "As twitter started accumulating user data in Google's internal code and
    all tweets are visible globally, it might obtain a de-facto position
    soon I am afraid, unless ISO finishes the standardization and someone
    major start supporting the standard quickly."

    ... struck me as somewhat of a non sequitur, because whether Google's
    PUA assignments for emoji do or do not become a de-facto industry
    standard has little or nothing to do with whether WG2 fast-tracks the
    formal encoding of emoji. If the Google code points are going to be a
    de-facto standard in the future, they probably are one already. (In
    fact, the rest of Yasuo-san's message points out that Twitter and Mac
    already use the Google code points, implying that the Rubicon has
    already been crossed.)

    --
    Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
    RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­