Re: Medievalist ligature character in the PUA

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@htpassport.com)
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 15:40:08 CST

    On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 12:04 +0100, Wolfgang Schmidle wrote:
    > Although 200D seems to be meant for languages with mandatory
    > ligatures such as Arabic, the Latin "fi" is explicitly given as an
    > example (p.539).

    This is really a side track, but I just wanted to say that ZWJ/U+200D's
    ligature request feature is *not* meant for Arabic. It's meant for
    everything else (excluding Arabic-like cursive scripts, like Syriac and
    N'Ko).

    For Arabic (and the other Arabic-like cursive scripts), it actually
    *breaks* ligatures, for backward compatibility with certain pieces of
    software. Briefly, for one or two versions of the Unicode Standard
    (around 3.2 times), it did request ligatures, but that's no longer the
    case. See page 539 of Unicode 5.0 book, here:

    http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.0.0/ch16.pdf

    (Look at the second example in Figure 16-3.)

    Roozbeh