Re: Medievalist ligature character in the PUA

From: Leo Broukhis (leob@mailcom.com)
Date: Mon Dec 14 2009 - 15:01:12 CST

    On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:46 AM, John (Eljay) Love-Jensen
    <eljay@adobe.com> wrote:

    > OS X requires filenames be normalized, which is close to be slightly
    > different from NFD. And for backwards compatibility, is rather stuck doing
    > what it does. (Apple's "HFS+NFD" variant predates NFD.)

    What would be an example of the difference?

    > This OS X requirement is enforced by the OS.
    >
    > Windows requires that filenames be normalized as NFC. This can cause all
    > sorts of havoc.

    What kind of havoc? If the OS is to normalize file names, I consider
    NFC preferable, because it guarantees that a user-requested file name
    of an allowed length will still be of an allowed length after
    normalization.

    > If Linux has embraced Unicode, I would be surprised that they have not also
    > established NFD or NFC as the required normalization.

    The Unix way would be to have the normalization mode (NFC, NFD,
    HFS+NFD, none) a file system attribute specified during file system
    creation (or mounting, if the FS format does not support that flag).

    Sincerely,
    Leo