Re: Medievalist ligature character in the PUA

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Mon Dec 14 2009 - 23:03:50 CST

    On Dec 14, 2009, at 7:17 PM, verdy_p wrote:

    > "John H. Jenkins"
    >> The Latin ligatures that are already there are for round-trip compatibility *only*.
    >
    > NOT *only*. There are ligatures that were encoded because they are considered as unbreakable letters in some
    > languages or as unbreakable symbols. In which case they are treated as distinct.

    My bad (and another sign of my English bias). I meant specifically the ones in the Alphabetic Presentation Forms block, inasmuch as this is the set of symbols people usually think of extending when they want to add new Latin ligatures to Unicode. There are, as you point out, other characters which would be considered ligatures in English but not necessarily in other languages.

    =====
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com