re: Is there a Japanese character for the word Unicode? (from Re: Unicode Haiku Contest)

From: verdy_p (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri Dec 18 2009 - 08:48:19 CST

    "William_J_G Overington"
    > Interestingly, the word Unicode goes through in Latin characters.
    > I wondered whether that is because there is no character for Unicode or whether there is one and it is just not in
    the database being used for the translation.
    > I have since learned that the word Unicode could be expressed phonetically using Katakana characters.
    > Yet I am wondering whether there is a complete character for the word Unicode and, if there is not, could one be
    devised?

    Google translates "Unicode Code" as "ユニークなコード" ("yunīku na kōdo") using kanas. So I guess that the Japanese
    translation would be translitterated as "yunīkōdo" by removing some kanas in the middle (but I don't know Japanese to
    see if this can be a good translation).

    But if you look at the "What is Unicode?" page on the Unicode.org web site, you'll see that it is translated as:
    "ユニコードとは何か?"

    You can immediately infer the kanas to remove (keep the two first and the 3 last ones) to produce "ユニコード"
    ("yunīkōdo")...

    Philippe.