Re: HTML5 encodings (was: Re: BOCU patent)

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Thu Dec 24 2009 - 00:37:44 CST

    André Szabolcs Szelp wrote:

    >> Well, here at Opera we had to disable support for two encodings
    >> (UTF-7 and UTF-32) to become HTML5 conformant, if that isn't a waste
    >> of developer time, I don't know what is :-)
    >
    > UTF-32 is stateful/poses a security risk?

    Only if someone thinks the existence of BE and LE variants poses a
    security risk or constitutes statefulness in some way.

    Some people think "stateful" extends to multi-byte encodings, because
    you have to keep track of where you within the sequence (lead code unit,
    first trailing code unit, etc.). By that measure, UTF-32 is actually
    less stateful than -8 or -16.

    --
    Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
    RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­