RE: The "prohibited" encodings...

From: Phillips, Addison (addison@amazon.com)
Date: Tue Dec 29 2009 - 16:03:21 CST

    No, that's not it.

    UTF-7, BOCU, and SCSU are banned either because they auto-detect as something other than themselves or because an otherwise "innocuous" byte sequence detects as being one of them, thus serving as the basis for an XSS attack. UTF-32 is banned apparently because naïve implementations might detect it as UTF-16.

    None of these encodings encode the same (full) sequence of code points in more than one way, unless you mean that some of them encode identical subsequences of a larger document using different byte values? But that's not the same thing.

    Addison

    Addison Phillips
    Globalization Architect -- Lab126

    Internationalization is not a feature.