Re: Quick Question About Korean Input Methods

From: Christoph Päper (christoph.paeper@crissov.de)
Date: Mon Jan 11 2010 - 00:07:04 CST

    "Doug Ewell" <doug@ewellic.org>:
    > I have yet to see a non-alphabetic writing system that is suitable
    > for translating "any language."

    I have yet to see a writing system that is suitable for transcribing
    any language.

    Since writing systems, unlike scripts, are always language-dependent,
    their usable scope will never encompass more than one language, with
    import rules a couple more perhaps, especially from the same script.

    Hangul (or kana) could be used for languages with more complex
    consonant clusters, but you would have to alter, amend or abolish the
    Korean (or Japanese) rules to do that. Despite that, for some
    languages it is easier to tailor a syllabic transcription than it is
    for others. (No matter whether you are thinking morphologic or
    phonologic syllables.)