Re: A poem using localizable sentences

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 15 2010 - 08:59:20 CST

    On Friday 15 January 2010, Michael Everson <everson@evertype.com> wrote:

    > > In relation to localizable sentences, I feel that the
    > answer is yes.
    >
    > Well, it is not.

    Your reasoning would be appreciated, though I would rather have your comments on the matter below if it were to be a choice of one or the other.

    > Please go and get http://www.amazon.co.uk/Land-Invented-Languages-Esperanto-Dreamers/dp/0385527888/evertype-21
    > and read it, William. There is a section there which will
    > show you how impossible what you are proposing is. It has
    > been tried before. It always fails, because it must.

    I found a web page about the book.

    http://inthelandofinventedlanguages.com/

    It would be helpful if you could please say where my idea has been tried before and with what results and also it would be helpful if you could possibly explain your claim that "It always fails, because it must." please.

    I am thinking of the localizable sentences as being a structure with both mathematical and linguistic aspects in its structure. I am not a linguist, though I am interested in languages. I have avoided having anything such as "It is brown." as a localizable sentence so that gender agreement passing from sentence to sentence is not necessary for the localization of the sentences.

    I am not seeking to encode all possible sentences into regular Unicode, just a set that can be used for a variety of purposes. For example, for distributing text messages about the weather in weather forecasts.

    It would be really helpful if you could explain why you feel that what I am suggesting will not work please.

    William Overington